Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Big D’s Baked Beans and Mom’s Cole Slaw

My step-dad, Donyvan, is not a cook.  Like most men, he can grill and that's just about it.  He's great at doing dishes, though.  Like a man should be ;)  However, there is one thing he is really great at making that isn't on the grill.  Now, I don't like baked beans, actually I don't like beans of any kind except green beans or jelly beans, but I've been told by A LOT of people that these baked beans are amazing.  So, I might as well share the recipe with you.

Wait, recipe?!  This isn't really a "recipe" per say, it's more of guidelines.

Big D's Baked Beans

2 large cans of Bush's Baked Beans (I'm pretty sure they're just the plain baked beans)

ketchup

1/2 of a white onion

brown sugar

Worchestershire sauce

teriyaki sauce

apple cider vinegar

Pour the baked beans into a 9"x13" baking dish.  Chop up the onion and add to the beans.  Add each of the other ingredients until the beans taste good.  Bake at 350 for about a half an hour.


Yeah, that's it.  I asked him how he makes his beans and that's what he told me.  I know.  It's not a recipe you're used to, but it's how it's done.  And apparently it's good enough because everyone says they're amazing.  My only advice in making these is just remember you can always add but you can't take away.

My mom is said to make really amazing cole slaw, but again this is something I don't eat.  In case you haven't figured it out I am a picky eater.  If I go over to someone's house and they make something I don't like, yes I will eat it because I'm not rude, but if my mom or sister make it I'll go to the kitchen and make my own food lol.  But, since people say my mom's cole slaw is so good, I thought I'd share the recipe.

Mom's Cole Slaw

1 bag of cole slaw mix (you can find it in the produce section by the other bagged salads)

3/4  jar of Marzetti's slaw dressing (this is very IMPORTANT because no other slaw dressing is as good)

Mix both ingredients in a large bowl and enjoy!


So, there you have it- two of the simplest, yet most delicious recipes for a picnic or BBQ.  You can make these and everyone will think you slaved for a long time.  However, you made a short jaunt to the grocery store and spent about five minutes preparing and that was it.  I say make them and bask in the praise!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment